April 9, 2018A bus carrying students and chaperones returning to a Long Island mall location from JFK Airport has crashed into a low overhead bridge on the Southern State Parkway in Long Island. There are reports of injuries, but no fatalities at this time. The bus had its entire roof sheared off. The bus was from Journey Bus Lines in New Jersey, a Prevost model. Bus crashes into low bridge
April 3, 2018
The E-Board Officer election will take place on May 1, 2018.
The following members are on the Electoral Slate:
Wendy Alberty, Ryan Dupont, Derrick James, Richard Kwiecinski, Randy WilliamsBallots in the mail this weekend.
March 25, 2018 ATU International highlights the lack of overtime provisions in the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) where there is no time-and-half after 40 hours of work in this feature article on their website.
March 19, 2018 The first autonomous bus has been allowed to operate on the public streets of San Ramon, California. The bus seats six people and stands six people. It is in a test phase where it does not board passengers, but drives on a pre-fixed route. Unlike autonomous cars such as Uber and Google which are being tested but have a driver in the driver's seat, this bus has no driver. Click: Driverless bus begins operate in California, Link contains video.
How important is uniform code for Peter Pan drivers?
- Uniforms are important; it makes the company look professional (75%, 3 Votes)
- Uniforms are unimportant: Drivers should be able to wear what accessories (shoes, hats, jackets, etc.) that they want. (25%, 1 Votes)
Total Voters: 4
Feb. 27, 2018 First Group warned investors in UK that revenues at Greyhound/North America are down, resulting in a 13% drop in its share price. It is now below $1 a share. Routes are being cut in British Columbia, Canada. Revenues from its Greyhound long-haul coaches were down nearly 3% as it struggled to compete with airlines and other carriers. Shares in First Group, which runs yellow school buses and Greyhound coaches in the United States, shed 11 percent of their value, one of the biggest losers on Britain's mid-cap index. It also cited problems in recruiting drivers for both its Greyhound and school bus operations in North America, due to the strong employment market. First Group shares down Greyhound stock shares down
As a result of the retirement of E Board officer Tom Eckert (Springfield Division), there is an opening of one position on the Executive Board. There will be an interim election to determine who will fill that position (ATU Constitution & General Laws Sec. 14.10). The term will run through June 30, 2020. Since we are an over-the-road property, our election balloting process is a two-envelope system by US mail. The following is the list of dates and timeline of the election process:
- February 27, 2018 – April 3, 2018: Nominations may be accepted through the normal nomination process at meetings at different divisions (date & times to be announced). In addition, if you as member is not able to attend a meeting, you may designate another member, or Pres. Andy Woods for example, to enter your name as a nominee provided that there is a second for the nomination at that time or later. The recording secretary will record all nominations and seconds.
- Tuesday, April 3, 2018 Springfield Charter Meeting. This is the final nomination meeting for the election process (Sec.14.4 ATU Constitution and General Laws). All nominees from previous meetings will be entered into the Minutes, and new nominations taken at this meeting.
- Within three days, the Financial Secretary will verify the nominees (All nominees must be in “good standing” with dues; All nominees must be members of Local 1512 for minimum of 24 months; All nominees must be within all other guidelines of the ATU constitution.) A “List of Nominees” will be sent out to all locations on Union Bulletin boards
- Ballots will be sent out to all members approximately April 10-12, 2018.
- Election day, Tuesday, May 1, 2018 (the day when all ballots must have been returned to the union). Ballots will be counted at 12:00 noon and will have election observers who will certify the election. Nominees may be present if they so choose.
- Election results will be announced that afternoon via Union Bulletin Boards and electronically.
Feb. 11, 2018 A start-up West Coast company "Cabin" operates an overnight Custom Coach service between San Francisco and Los Angeles. Cabin began in 2016 with test runs and operates three motorcoaches while providing specially designed 24 pax max./sleeper berth equipped/ground transportation service between the main California city pair LA-SF. Their fares average $85 to $115 and include refreshments and host service. More here in this early Feb. 2018 USA Today article: Cabin Coaches: California overnight bus service